Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Injury Update

"Whenever you suffer a setback or disappointment, put your head down and plow ahead." -- Les Brown

Okay, so hitting my head wasn't such a great idea apparently. This marks my first ever concussion. Want to know the story? Here you go...

During warm ups, I was going up for a vault (I was about 12 feet up) when suddenly I noticed that the pole was moving backwards on me. I was all ready swinging up, so I was unable to bail out over the parallels of the mat. Remembering my training, I decided to hold onto the pole and ride it down so that I could land on my feet. I remember thinking this and then realizing that, in my position, I was not going to be able to land on my feet. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground and my head really hurt. I was not knocked out, and I was allowed to continue to compete. Later on during the day, symptoms started coming, and the trainer had me come in Sunday morning for an Impact Test. If I had scored a 5 or lower on it, I would be practicing this week. Unfortunately, I scored a 29 and had to be evaluated by the team doctor. He has me out until Thursday at the earliest. I will be reevaluated then, and we will go from there.

Hopefully I will be all right at the end of the week so that I can compete at the SEMO meet. If you see a post on how I did at that meet, that means I was able to go. If not, I'm still waiting for my brain to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment